Our South Kirby sugarbush (the forest stand of maple trees which are tapped for maple sap) was piped in 1971 by Albert and Donald Wood, with the help of their father Herbert. It was one of the first in the area to utilize all plastic piping, rather than old-fashioned buckets and spouts. A new sugarhouse was built in the sugarbush and the sugaring operation was established. It would later be passed down to Albert's sons Roger, Alan, and Jim, and to the generations that followed.
We began modernizing our sugaring operation in 2012 with the installation of a new vacuum pump system. In the following years, we added a wet/dry system with a new line of 1800 taps, a reverse osmosis system, a new evaporator, automatic draw-off, and pre-evaporator. We began constructing a new sugarhouse in 2015 and moved into the new setup for the 2017 sugaring season.
Our sugaring business is still family-run, with multiple generations working hard to maintain and update our facility and sugarbush, produce liquid gold each spring, and market our sweet products.
While technology continues to increase the efficiency and yield of sugarmaking, the spirit and history of the tradition lives on in our sugarhouse, where family and neighbors gather in billowing steam to share in syrup, donuts, and conversation.
Mobirise website maker - More